Sunday, July 19, 2015

Screen Therapy ~ Mr. Holmes

Part of my intoversion requires that I get a significant amount of quiet time or I start to get a little crazy.  Quiet time, for me, doesn't always have to be a solitary activity, just something where I don't have to be 'on' all the time. The constant need to keep a conversation going can be utterly exhausting. Often I recharge in natrue or buried in a book, but screen time can be just as rejuvenating.

I'm not a big TV watcher but that's more by default than by choice. I've lived in too many situations where I didn't have access to TV on a regular basis so I've missed keeping up on some of the current faves and popular shows.  I generally wait until a bulk of the series is on DVD before I dive in. (And I'm always looking for recommendations!) But I do watch a lot of movies. The fiance is a fan as well so many of our date nights include a trip to the theater and a large bucket of popcorn. This week's showing was Mr. Holmes.


Ian McKellan plays an aging Sherlock Holmes who is fighting the beginnings of dementia and struggling to make sense of his last case, which he has a nagging suspiscion he didn't actually solve despite Dr. Watson's story recounting otherwise.  With the help of a young boy (his housekeeper's son) he begins to piece together his own story and discovers the truth which re-shapes the life he is living and the lives of those around him.

The movie was slow and character-driven, not your typical summer fare. The performances were top-notch and the scenery was lovely. It was hard to watch in some places because McKellan's portrayal hit a little too close to home. Watching his frustration with losing his independence, knowing he should be able to remember details of his life but coming up short, and feeling a sense of urgency to make ammends for particular deeds brought to mind some of the conversations I've had with my grandpa recently.  The fears and feelings he's dealt with were there on the big screen, larger than life. McKellan had the same look in his eyes as he realized that there are certain things he can no longer do and that the end is undoubtedly near. He wanted to remain the strong and capable figure the public viewed him as for so many years but could see that slipping away and the emotions were raw and written all over his face.

It was touching and poignent with a satisfying ending. If you're in to period pieces or caught up in the Sherlock mania, I highly recommend it. (It's no substitute for Benedict Cumberbatch but fills in a bit of the hole while we all patiently wait for the next season!)

Rated PG (nothing offensive though there is one scene invovling a child that's a little bit intense)

No comments:

Post a Comment